On November 9 the Department of Energy released their SBIR phase 1 release 2 EERE topics for funding opportunities. Topic 12, Healthy and Efficient Buildings, seems like a good fit for the Koolest Controller. The KC will improve the performance of evaporative cooling (EC) systems, encouraging continued use of existing EC systems which are many times more efficient than compressor-based (CB) systems. It could help slow the trend, in arid climates, of replacing EC with CB.
It saves energy by:
- Making more efficient use of the EC systems already in use.
- Encouraging installation of EC systems in new construction.
- Reducing the need for manufacture of new hardware like motors and fans, by extending the lifetime of existing systems.
- Reducing the system capacity requirements by reducing peak load.
- Balancing energy demand by its constant energy use profile.
EC has its disadvantages, it is generally only used in arid climates. But with worldwide arid climate on the increase, so too will be demand for this energy-miser technology.
I think it’s a good investment for our government. We’re talking pretty small seeds here, that should grow into giant oaks.